Guide to Chile: Visas and Passports |

Guide to Chile: Visas and Passports

Passports must be valid for at least 6 months after the end of your trip.

Citizens of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand just need a valid passport to enter Chile.

Tourist Card

Before entering Chile, you’ll need to fill out a tourist card that allows visitors to stay for 90 days. You’ll need to present this tourist card to Customs when leaving the country, so don’t lose it.

Tourist Visa Charges

Most visitors are unaware that Chile charges a steep reciprocity fee for citizens of some countries when they arrive at the Santiago airport before passing through customs.

UK citizens and New Zealanders do not pay a fee.

The U.S. recently upped the fee for Chileans seeking a U.S. tourist visa to $100, so now Chile has responded by charging visitors from the U.S. $100.

Visitors from Australia pay $33 and visitors from Canada pay $55.

The entrance fee must be paid in cash and in U.S. dollars only.

This fee is levied only to tourists entering by plane, not crossing the border by vehicle, and the one-time charge is good for the life of your passport, so keep the stub stapled on a page in your passport for future visits.

Flying via USA

If you are flying via the USA you must have a machine-readable passport otherwise you will need a full visa.

If you have a line of chevrons and numbers on the photo page of your passport then it is machine-readable.

If you have not entered the USA within the last couple of years you will be asked to provide a scan of all 10 fingers (light scan, so at least no mess). Those who have previously entered the USA will only be asked to scan one finger.

Lost Documents

If you lose your tourist card outside Santiago, any police station will direct you to the Extranjería police headquarters for that province (usually the nearest principal city).

In Santiago, go to the Policía Internacional, Departamento Fronteras, General Borgoña 1052 (tel. 2/737-1292), open Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 12:30pm and 3 to 6pm.

If you lose your passport, contact your embassy for a replacement. It is imperative that you carry a photocopy of your passport with you and another form of ID to facilitate the process.